Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 11:51:37 EST

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git. It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
>cd kernel
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>cd git-core-0.99.7
>make install
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux
>
>cd linux
>git checkout
>

>The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
> wrap issues with the long url's. Anyway, after that you can stay
> current with the latest Linus release with a simple "git pull".
>
>Cheers,
>Sean

What is the lifetime of this script? The reason I am asking is that
somehow, the 'linux' directory got emptied when I used mc to make a
copy of it to /usr/src/linux-2.6.14-rc2, which then built just fine
and I'm running it.

But editing the script so that it only does the stuff from the rsync
line on, I have not been able to duplicate its flawless performance,
instead getting this near the end of the proceedure:
------
[...]
tags/v2.6.14-rc2

sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
rsync: link_stat
"/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
(in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(812)
------

I have now re-ran this 4 times, each time doing an rm -fR on the
'linux' directory, with the same results as above each time.

Is this normal, or am I missing something important (and probably
a 'duh' moment too) that it takes to do a re-run?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)