Re: [RFC/BUG?] ide_cs's removable status

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 04:41:20 EST

On Mer, 2005-09-21 at 22:52 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> A proposed solution/patch:
> [One step further is to totally remove the drive->removable = 1]
>
> This patch stops CompactFlash devices being marked as removable. They
> are not removable as the media and device are inseparable. When a card
> is removed, the device is removed from the system.

No it is not. The PCMCIA adapter does not generate a hot plug event when
the card is changed. This proposal is still wrong. Please either fix
your user space so it works (like the GNOME one does out of the box) or
propose a sensible kernel change to suppress the hotplug events such as
serial number checking. The latter sounds sensible to me because it
would cleanup somewhat.

Simply posting new variants of the wrong patch repeating false claims is
not a way to fix bugs.

Alan