cifs writepages patch

From: Steve French
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 16:27:02 EST

I have been looking at and testing Shaggy's cifs writepages patches, and they look promising.

From my fastest test client to a laptop running Windows XP as a test server (unfortunately this means running against a relatively slow disk, but the file size should fit in cache on the server) here are some initial results (at least three runs at each size). Doing large file copy (dd if=/dev/zero bs=16K count=4K of =/mnt/testfile) of 64Mbytes

Over 100Mbit Ethernet
w/o the patch (writes will go 4K): 6.1 MB/sec
w/patch and wsize 16K (default) 8.8MB/sec
w/patch and wsize reduced to 4K 6.3MB/sec
w/patch and wsize 8K 8.5 MB/sec
w/patch and wsize increased to 32K 9.8 MB/sec