Re: AIO Support and related package information??

From: Sébastien Dugué
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 03:58:38 EST

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 08:32 +0100, vikas gupta wrote:
> hi Sebastien ,
>
> I am having yet another query related to AIO Support
>
> 1)As you mentioned that aio posix support is provided
> by glibc also so can you tell me on the performance
> basis which one is better (glibc implementation or
> libposix implementation ) and how do we measure the
> performance

Have a look at:
http://www.bullopensource.org/posix/Bench/sysbench-oltp/sysbench.html
for benchmarks using Sysbench and MySQL.

> I have compiled glibc with following command
>
> gcc -g $1.c -o $1 -lrt -lpthread

Then you're using glibc AIO implementation based on helper threads
and without taking advantage of kernel support.

> 2)What posix features is supported by bare kernel and
> libposix implementation, without applying the
> patches.I have broken down my query in following
> parts

Without any of the patches:

> 2.1) aio_read/aio_write is supported but what
> limitation are there

Supported but without notification (SIGEV_NONE only).

> 2.2) aio_fsync is supported or not

Supported only if the underlying fs implements it

> 2.3) what are the limitation with lio_listio

Not supported wihtout the patches.

> 2.4) what are the additional feature it provides for
> aio_cancel implementation

Needs support from the underlying fs.

> 3) Is glibc implementation is providing all the above
> mentioned fetures

Yes, I think so.

> 4) Is there any test program that can measure
> efficiency for both glibc and libposix implementation

I personally use Sysbench and have compiled 3 MySQL servers,
one with librt AIO, one with libposix-aio and one with MySQL
native simulated AIO.

You may also try iozone.

> With Thanks in advance
> Vikas

Hope this helps,

Sébastien.

Sébastien Dugué BULL/FREC:B1-247
phone: (+33) 476 29 77 70 Bullcom: 229-7770

mailto:sebastien.dugue@xxxxxxxx

Linux POSIX AIO: http://www.bullopensource.org/posix