Re: Strange disk corruption with Linux >= 2.6.13

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 07:43:49 EST

Grant Coady wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:10:39 -0300, Rogério Brito <rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there. I'm seeing a really strange problem on my system lately and I
am not really sure that it has anything to do with the kernels.

Probably not, I had a similar problem recently and for a test case copied a .iso image file then compared it to original (cp + cmp), turned out to be bad memory, and yes, memtest86 did not find the problem. Check mobo datasheet if 2+ double-sided memory allowed, you may need to stay at 1GB to reduce bus loading.

I work a lot with hardware any my experience is that memtest is not very good at detecting errors. I have a Socket 7 board somewhere with bad L2 cache - it was unstable but memtest was unable to find anything. However, GoldMemory found some errors - they disappeared after disabling L2 cache and crashes disappeared too. It's not free but at least shareware - you can find it at http://www.goldmemory.cz/ The older version (IIRC 5.07) was better, I had problems with some of the newer ones on perfectly OK hardware (when the test should start, it rebooted instead).

--
Ondrej Zary