Re: [Patch] eliminate CLONE_* duplications

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 11:23:02 EST

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 05:25:41PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Sorry for the delay.)

no big deal ...

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > _what_ do you consider 'logically organized' because
> > putting all the CLONE_* stuff into a separate file is
> > pretty logical for me ... but obviously not for you.
>
> "logically organized" mainly means reducing dependencies by organizing
> them by their logical dependencies.

did you consider that separating out the clone
stuff might be that basis for reducing dependencies?

> If a large header file is included by a lot of other files, some parts
> maybe separated to reduce header dependencies. The same can be done
> for config dependencies, so that a config change doesn't necessarily
> recompiles the whole kernel.

> Your change doesn't reduce any dependecies and it's not such a big
> cleanup:

aha, so we want a big all-in-one patch now which
does many changes at once, instead of a small
(and obvious) cleanup first, then later maybe
a restructuring ... yes?

> arch/alpha/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 2 --
> arch/alpha/kernel/entry.S | 1 +
> arch/cris/arch-v10/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 3 ---
> arch/cris/arch-v10/kernel/entry.S | 1 +
> arch/cris/arch-v32/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 3 ---
> arch/frv/kernel/kernel_thread.S | 2 +-
> arch/ia64/ia32/ia32_entry.S | 3 ++-
> arch/ia64/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 4 ----
> arch/parisc/kernel/entry.S | 4 +---
> arch/ppc/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 2 --
> arch/ppc/kernel/misc.S | 1 +
> arch/ppc64/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 3 ---
> arch/ppc64/kernel/misc.S | 1 +
> arch/v850/kernel/asm-offsets.c | 4 ----
> arch/v850/kernel/entry.S | 1 +
> include/asm-cris/arch-v10/offset.h | 3 ---
> include/asm-cris/arch-v32/offset.h | 3 ---
> include/linux/clone.h | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> include/linux/sched.h | 30 +-----------------------------

> The noise generated by the separation is larger than the avoided
> duplication.

hmm, interesting argument ...

> The hardcoded defines actually do need fixing, frv is especially bad,
> as it even has hardcoded structure offsets.

so instead of fixing the issue properly, we
'mend' it by adding new code to */asm-offsets.c

> > I have absolutely no problem with different, more
> > logical splitups, and I'm willing to break down the
> > entire sched.h if that will help the cause ... so
> > please enlighten me here ...

> sched.h is especially challenging due to dependencies between headers
> under asm and linux. It's not just splitting sched.h, it also requires
> analyzing its dependencies.

which you obviously think is nothing I can do
'properly' ...

thanks for the info,
Herbert