Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 17:01:43 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
The driver and the infrastructure needs to go in.

Give it exposure to the people, let people play with it.

Merging into the upstream kernel is not necessary for exposure.

Historically, saying "no" to a single vendor pushing really hard -- as you are doing -- has resulted in a superior solution.

If we start "fixing" SCSI Core now (this in itself is JB red
herring), how long before it is "fixed" and we can "rest"?
And how long then before the driver and infrastructure
makes it in?

Just follow the recipe Christoph outlined. It's not difficult, just requires some work.

At the end of the day the driver is not in, and business
suffers. And its not like the driver is using static struct file_operations megasas_mgmt_fops, ;-)
IOCTLs or other char dev for management...

The driver does _not_ alter anything in the kernel, it only
integrates with it.

There needs to be a "passing gate":
Linus, let the driver and transport layer in, as is and then
patches "fixing SCSI Core" would start coming, naturally.
From people, from me, from everybody.

So far, this is an Adaptec-only solution.

It does an end run around 90% of the SCSI core. You might as well make it a block driver, if you're going to do that.

Jeff