Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: 2.6.13-mm2

From: David Brownell
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 16:07:56 EST

> > > ok. i didn't look too close, but i think ohci-hcd does not fully disable
> > > interrupts in it's suspend callback...needs a closer look.
> > > cc:ing linux-usb-devel...
> >
> > It's handled in hcd-pci.c ... All PCI based HCDs release their IRQs
> > when they suspend. Including OHCI. Your diagnosis is incorrect.
>
> would you be kind enough to tell me where?

There's only one free_irq() line, and it gets called the first time
through usb_hcd_pci_suspend(). QED.

> my point is: the test patch i sent to rafael which comments out the
> free_irq-on-suspend thing in hcd-pci.c shows that something is wrong with
> USB (i think only OHCI. UHCI looks ok and about EHCI i have no data).

Your logic escapes me, since your patch affected all three PCI HCDs.
If that's wrong for one, its wrong for all three.

And as I just commented to Rafael, here are two better things to try
instead of believing a diagnosis that's clearly wrong:

- 2.6.14-rc2
- disabling USB keyboard/mouse/... support in your BIOS

I know there are bugs in the "usb-handoff" PCI quirk code; the folk who've
collected those code fragments didn't bother to match the code in the HCDs,
and the differences can matter [1]. The best way to avoid such stuff is
still to make sure that your BIOS just ignores USB.

- Dave

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=112745488924651&w=2