Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 09:49:54 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
All the while, Linux _development_, seems to follow some kind
"yours/mine", "gimme that/take that" kindergarten kind of way.
The reason I'm saying this is that _every_ successful entity
(person, corporation, etc) knows that in order to _survive_
it needs to _quickly adapt to new things_: new technologies,
new trends, new fads, etc.

The core problem is that a SAM-friendly path to SAS has already been chosen -- transport classes -- and your driver isn't following this path.

If we choose a new path every six months, we'll never arrive at the destination.

Some companies are _fiercly_ trying to beat this _natural_
course of History, into turning 180 degrees from their mindset
every single year in order to chase the latest technology, the
latest fad, in order to please customers and stay on top.

I wish Linux would return to its roots.

Linux today is the most successful its ever been. This system, however strange it may seem, does work.

Hans Reiser once said that every software needs a complete rewrite
every 3 or 5 years (I don't precisely remember). I tend to agree
with him. Maybe it's time to completely rewrite the SCSI subsystem,
but maybe it will be too long, too risky and not worth the effort.
Maybe it can simply coexist with another new subsystem. This is what

Now _this_ is a smart suggestion: it wouldn't break legacy hardware
_and_ it would give Linux SCSI a fresh start.

Next year, your new serverboard wouldn't have any of those old
cumbersome storage chips to worry about. It would have only one
storage chip which could do SAS and SATA and that'd be that.
Why would anyone need this fat, old semanticaly overloaded,
SPI-centric SCSI Core?

The rest of the Linux-SCSI devs are trying to make it less SPI-centric. Rather than just complain, we're doing something about it.

Foremost, this experience reminds other vendors that Linux
_development_ model is _not_ en par with their Linux _deployment_
model (i.e. for a business).

Many things are left to the whim of developers whose educational
and technical background could be in question especially when
your only communication with them is via email.

Background is irrelevant. Only results matter. Linux is a meritocracy.

I'm not shoving my solution down the throats of LSI or James or
Christoph. Why?
- because the technologies are different,
- beacause I'm following a SAM model, they are not.
- and because I'm not changing anybody else's code but integrating
with it.

(Jeff, I know that on the 3rd point, you'd say "That's the problem,
you should be improving SCSI Core", and I know that if I had been
changing other people's code, you'd say "You should not change
other people's code", so it's a win-win-manipulative situation
for you. I'm aware of that, spare your keystrokes.)

Spare me your paranoia. I've been 100% honest with you in every email I've written.

You -should- change other people's code. That's how Linux gets better.

When I chose a better path for libata's error handling, the first step in that process was changing the locking, and modifying almost every $!#$@! SCSI driver in the kernel. Rather than forever complaining about an outdated SCSI layer, I stepped up and fixed things.

seems to matter much those days. In an ideal situation, 2.7 would
have been opened for a long time,

Maybe things are slowing down for Linux? Attitude? Complacency?
History? Who knows?

SCSI work is speeding up. The SCSI core has come a -long- way in the past couple years. 2.6.x SCSI is light years ahead of 2.4.x SCSI.

Jeff