Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 10:21:05 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
On 09/29/05 03:44, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

a spec describes how the hw works... how we do the sw piece is up to
us ;)

Arjan, I'll be your best friend here:
Never say this in public or in an intervew.

It's hard-earned experience. We constantly have to teach hardware vendors how to write good drivers.

At some point you have to step away from the spec, and ask yourself what makes sense for Linux. I've already had to poke T10 when they put silly things in the SAT spec.

As a tangent, I already have a design for a Linux filesystem that makes use of SCSI object-based storage (to James's horror, no doubt :)). It's a fun thing to ponder.

Hardware folks needs to work with software folks and
software folks need to work with hardware folks.

Certainly. The historical disconnect is where hardware vendors tend to presume They Know Best, when in reality it needs to be an equal tradeoff. Hardware vendors must admit they don't know Linux, and Linux developers must admit that hardware vendors know their own hardware better than anyone else.

Jeff