Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 11:55:39 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
of SAS. THE REASON THEY WERE INTRODUCED INTO LINUX BY JB IS TO
ACCOMODATE MPT-based SOLUTIONS FROM TWIDDLING WITH IOCTLS!

Wrong. This shows you fundamentally don't understand transport classes at all.

AFAIK, the first transport class was FC, for qla2xxx.

Read the code to see how FC avoids the SPI-centric scan -- an example of transport independence.

How do I know this: simple: JB's "transport attributes" have
NOTHING to do with SAM.

They break the layering architecture for one, and are
ATTRIBUTE EXPORTING FACILITY for another.

Transport class == transport layer. Eventually this will sink in.

Transport class allows for complete transport independence, be it SAS, FC, iSCSI, or other.

And as you can see, Linux today is the most anal retentive as it
has ever been (e.g. SAS, reiser4, and other (revolutionary) technologies).

Remember, you can only go _down_ from the top. So please
do not say
"Linux is the most successful it's ever been."

We've still got all that Microsoft and old-Unix marketshare to steal :)

It's too immature as it means that it would either go down
or that it cannot become even _more_ successful.

The rest of the Linux-SCSI devs are trying to make it less SPI-centric. Rather than just complain, we're doing something about it.

Oh this is such a political sap, Jeff -- I cannot believe
you're actually saying this.

I'm merely stating I'm submitting patches to clean up SCSI core. Others have submitted far more patches than I. And further patches to SCSI core are needed to properly integrate SAS as a transport completely independent from SPI. I'm going to be putting time and effort into moving the SCSI core away from SPI, so that SAS can be properly integrated.

All I've seen from you is
(a) complaints that the SCSI core is too SPI-centric
(b) a solution that does nothing to fix this

Who are you pleasing? Your management?

My goal is Linux. Always has been. I put quality of Linux code, and giving features to Linux users, above all else. Have been doing so regardless of who employs me, for many years now.

Maybe one day I will be independently wealthy, be a completely independent Linux maintainer, and then people will have to find something other than Red Hat as the reason for why their code is receiving criticism.

I doubt you've ever been honest with me.* The reason is that
you are trying to push down my throat JB's "transport classes",
all the while you're saying I'm supposed to change other people's
code?

To get a fully SPI-independent SCSI core, we must change other people's code. That's the way Linux works. We evolve the existing code.

Jeff