Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 12:12:10 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
On 09/29/05 11:20, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Arjan, I'll be your best friend here:
Never say this in public or in an intervew.

It's hard-earned experience. We constantly have to teach hardware vendors how to write good drivers.

I'm sure you have. Hardware vendors are lost without
Jeff, James Bottomley and Christoph.

You see, it is because of your _enormous_ ego as shown
above, that the code is being blocked.

No, I was referring to things such as, e.g.
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/olspaper.pdf
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/OLS.pdf

It has nothing to do with ego, just hard-won experience.

There are bunches of hardware vendors who have their patches merged immediately after posting. They get it. They have internalized the reasons why Linux drivers look the way they do.

As a tangent, I already have a design for a Linux filesystem that makes use of SCSI object-based storage (to James's horror, no doubt :)). It's a fun thing to ponder.

Ok, so the way I see it you want to show who has got
the bigger balls?

Jeff, I have *worked* on a Linux OBD-based filesystem.

Are you going to stop this self-gratifying stuff?

Oh good grief. It was an example, silly. Trying to lighten the mood, even.

Jeff