Net: e1000 driver: TX Hang message

From: Gerrit Visser
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 11:26:44 EST

Hi,

I've got a DELL precision 670 that has an Intel Gigabit Ethernet onboard
NIC (82545GM chipset). It receives packets but keeps on giving "Tx hang"
messages and doesn't send any packets.

Both standard Redhat WS4 (kernel 2.6.9) and kernel 2.6.13.2 did the
same.

To fix it, I've changed the following in the file e1000_hw.c:

case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_COPPER:
case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_FIBER:
case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_SERDES:
hw->mac_type = e1000_82545_rev_3;
break;

case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_COPPER:
case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_FIBER:
case E1000_DEV_ID_82545GM_SERDES:
hw->mac_type = e1000_82545;
break;

(ie. removed the "_rev_3")

I'm not certain whether it's necessary to change this for copper, fiber
and serdes. Mine is a copper (pci id 1026).

This worked for the Linux e1000 driver from Intel's website, but exactly
the same piece of code is in the 2.6.13.2 kernel's e1000 driver.

Best regards,
Gerrit