Re: Opterons and setting the pci bus master bit

From: Mark Hounschell
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 13:29:26 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Gwe, 2005-09-30 at 13:10 -0400, Mark Hounschell wrote:
everything is fine. When we connect the same chassis to an Intel P4 box everything is fine. It looks like it is the kernel that sets this bit because we have never set it in any of our drivers, yet on the intel boxes it gets set. Why would this bit not be set when the chassis is connected to an Opteron. We are running 32-bit mode BTW. I am using a 2.6.11.9 kernel. Is this a motherboard problem or could this be a kernel problem?

If your device needs to bus master you need to call
pci_set_master(pci_dev). The bus mastering setup prior to that really
depends on the BIOS and phase of the moon.

See Documentation/pci.txt

Alan

Ok, thats what I'll do then.

Thanks for the info.