Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel

From: Joel Becker
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 16:41:53 EST

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 03:15:50PM -0600, Andrew Patterson wrote:
> But again, this may be just a goal and not a hard and fast rule. I can
> definitely see a use for binary attributes in sysfs. Configfs seems to
> be designed for this sort of thing.

Configfs is designed for ascii or readable attributes. It drops
the bin_attribute type that sysfs still supports. So if you are looking
to fill a 64K binary attribute, configfs isn't the place you're going to
be going.

> > fd = open(smp_portal, ...);
> > write(fd, smp_req, smp_req_size);
> > read(fd, smp_resp, smp_resp_size);
> > close(fd);
>
> Process A opens an attribute and writes to it. Process B opens another
> attribute and writes to it, affecting the result that process A will see
> from its subsequent read. I suppose you could lock every attribute, but
> that would be very error-prone, and not allow much concurrency.

Check out nfsctl.c and its transaction_file design. process A
and process B get different buffers on filp->f_private, and cannot
influence each other's read/write operations.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #347

"Never waste the oppourtunity to tell someone you love them."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx