Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 19:39:09 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
I'm sure you'll do whatever humanly possible to show
that _your_ idea can be applied: you can do this now:
just use a big if () { ... } else { ... } statement and
you're done.

This is not how we do things in Linux. You're doubling the maintenance burden.

If you really want to do this, at least don't fill up drivers/scsi/ with an additional, completely unrelated codepath.

Furthermore I do not see the reasons to umbrella both
"aic94xx and LSI cards" when they are _completely different_
in architecture: MPT and open transport (ala USB Storage and SBP).

There is commonality between aic94xx and MPT/LSI stuff. aic94xx SAS transport layer is a superset of MPT/LSI SAS transport: it clearly needs far more management code.

We understand this. The part you don't understand is that we want to emphasize the commonality, rather than let aic94xx and MPT/LSI go in completely different directions.

Read it again: aic94xx/BCMxxx is a superset of functionality, not completely different.

Jeff