Re: Why no XML in the Kernel?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 05:36:46 EST

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

I have a requirement to pass information from the kernel to user space. The information is passed fairly rarely, but over time extra parameters are added. At the moment we just use a struct, but that means that the kernel and the userspace app have to both keep in step. If something like XML was used, we could implement new parameters in the kernel, and the user space could just ignore them, until the user space is upgraded.
XML would initially seem a good idea for this, but are there any methods currently used in the kernel that could handle these parameter changes over time.

For example, should the sysfs be used for this?

Any comments?

Yes use sysfs (or procfs if the information is related to a process).
Using ASCII text representation, and a single value per file is
noramlly the preferred method to do this I think.

Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.