Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 20:11:16 EST

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 05:04:51PM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> --Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote (on Monday, October 03, 2005 00:05:45 +0100):

> >> Linux already has a number of scalable SMP synchronisation
> >> mechanisms.
> >
> > ... and you are tied in to the decisions made by the linux kernel
> > developers.
>
> Yes. As are the rest of us. So if you want to implement something
> different, that's your perogative. So feel free to go do it
> somewhere else, and quit whining on this list.
>
> We are not your implementation bitches. If you think it's such a great
> idea, do it yourself.

martin, i'm going to take a leaf from the great rusty russell's book,
because i was very impressed with the professional way in which he
dealt with someone who posted such immature and out-of-line comments:
he rewrote them in a much more non-hostile manner and then replied to
that.

so, here goes: i'm copying the above few [relevant] paragraphs
below, then rewriting them, here:

> > ... and you are tied in to the decisions made by the linux kernel
> > developers.
>
> Yes, this is very true: we are all somewhat at the mercy of their
> decisions. However, fortunately, they had the foresight to work
> with free software, so any of us can try something different, if
> we wish.
>
> i am slightly confused by your message, however: forgive me for
> asking this but you are not expecting us to implement such a radical
> redesign, are you?

martin, hi, thank you for responding.

well... actually, as it turns out, the l4linux and l4ka people have
already done most of the work!!

i believe you may have missed part of my message (it was a bit long, i
admit) and i thank you for the opportunity, that your message presents,
to reiterate this: l4linux _exists_ - last time i checked (some months
ago) it had a port of 2.6.11 to the L4 microkernel.

so, in more ways than one, no i am of course not expecting people to
just take orders from someone as mad as myself :)

i really should reiterate this: i _invite_ people to _consider_ the
direction that processor designs - not just any "off-the-wall"
processor designs but _mainstream_ x86-compatible processor designs -
are likely to take. and they are becoming more and more parallel.

the kinds of questions that the experienced linux kernel
maintainers and developers really need to ask is: can the
present linux kernel design _cope_ with such parallelism?

is there an easier way?

that's mainly why i wished you "good luck" :)

l.

p.s. martin. _don't_ do that again. i don't care who you are:
internet archives are forever and your rudeness will be noted
by google-users and other search-users - long after you are dead.