Re: Strange disk corruption with Linux >= 2.6.13

From: Rogério Brito
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 23:35:17 EST

On Oct 02 2005, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Rogério Brito <rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I removed what was extracted right away and tried again to extract
> > the tree (at this point, suspecting even that something in software
> > had problems). The problem with bzip2 occurred again. Then, I
> > rebooted the system an the problem magically went away.
>
> I have a similar problem:

I am still investigating the problem. I am not planning on resting right
now. I really want to understand what's going on with this system.

Too bad that I am quite naïve and don't understand much about hardware
in general. :-(

> This happens mostly if there are concurrent DMA transfers like playing
> sound or watching TV on bttv cards. I'm affected by the later cause,
> setting no_overlay reduced it.

Humm, I think that I may have seen something like this in the past: I
have two CD readers here (both with DMA turned on) and I was once
extracting audio to be converted to MP3 and I noticed one strange
corruption that I have not been able to reproduce again:

Bits of what was extracted from one file appeared in the other disc and
the result was something like a mix of static and alternation between
the two music sources. Weird, huh?

Thanks for the concern, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: I will reboot my system and force an fsck as soon as I can, just
in case.
--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
Homepage on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/