Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Luben Tuikov
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 09:18:33 EST

On 09/30/05 20:33, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Luben Tuikov wrote:
>
>>But none of the ideas: 64 bit LUN, HCIL removal, etc.,
>>were accepted with "submit a patch".
>

> I concede this may have been the response in the past. Its not, now.
>

>>>So you're saying fixing the current SCSI subsystem once *now* costs
>>>more than applying all *future* SCSI fixes to _two_ SCSI subsystems,
>>>handling bug reports for _two_ SCSI subsystems, etc.
>>

>>I'm saying that the current "old" one is already obsolete,
>>when all you have is a SAS chip on your mainboard.
>>
>>All you need is a small, tiny, fast, slim SCSI Core.
>

> Then don't use it at all. Write a block driver, if you really feel we
> need two SCSI cores.
>

>>Politics: "Nah, whatever you say, specs are *crap* and we'll
>>do it our way. We are not interested in your way, even if it
>>were better. Oh, and BTW, REQUEST SENSE clears ACA and LUN
>>is a u64."
>

> This is a misrepresentation. -We- understand the stuff you have posted.
>
> But you continue to demonstrate that you simply do not understand the
> existing SCSI core code.
>
> The SAS transport class supports commonality across all SAS
> implementations. This includes both MPT and Adaptec 94xx.
>
> SAS transport class + libsas supports software implementations of SAS,
> including transport layer management. This includes Adaptec 94xx but
> NOT MPT.

You almost get it right, other than the layering infrastructure.

The SAS Transport Layer is a layer in its own right. It is not
a "libsas".

MPT and open transport a very different, one hides the transport,
i.e. the transport layer is in firmware; the other exposes it
and needs a transport layer. See the pictures here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=112810649712793&w=2

Luben