Re: 3Ware 9500S-12 RAID controller -- poor performance

From: Ville Herva
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 10:34:57 EST

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:50:58PM -0700, you [subbie subbie] wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> After almost two weeks of experimentation, google
> searches and reading of posts, bug reports and
> discussions I'm still far from an answer. I'm hoping
> someone on this list could shed some light on the
> subject.

Hi,

We're having similar problems with 9500S-4LP and two Hitachi 250GB SATA
disks.

Currently we are running 2.6.12.5 and its 3w-9xxx driver. We have tried
numerous 2.4 (Red Hat and kernel.org) and 2.6 kernels and 3w-9xxx drivers
(kernel and 3ware.com).

The results it more or less the same: on 2.4 it corrupts data and is slow,
on 2.6 it doesn't corrupt data, but is slow.

Our workload is VMWare GSX server. Multiple readers/writers will grind the
performance to halt.

We've tried:

- http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:08R-x7y-Kn8J:xn.pinkhamster.net/blog/tech/3ware_9500_notes.html+blockdev+stra+3w-9xxx&hl=en
http://www.linux-mag.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2033&Itemid=2304&pop=1&page=0

blockdev -setra 16384 /dev/sda

- different kernel IO schedulers

- parameters such as
blockdev --setra 8192 /dev/vg0/root
echo 300 > /sys/block/sda/queue/iosched/read_expire
echo 5 > /sys/block/sda/queue/iosched/writes_starved

None of this seems to make much difference.

Please drop me a note if you ever get any light on this issue...

-- v --

v@xxxxxx