Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 10:58:51 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
On 09/30/05 19:57, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Luben Tuikov wrote:
MPT-based drivers + James Bottomley's "transport attributes"

You continue to fail to see that a transport class is more than just transport attributes.

You continue to fail to see that working on transport class support IS a transport layer, that includes management.

Is you don't understand this fundamental stuff, how can we expect you to get it right?

From what I see, because of its *layering* position
JB's "transport attributes" cannot satisfy open transport.

Repeating verbatim the above quote: a transport class is more than just transport attributes.

The reason is that MPT-based drivers indeed do need host template
in the LLDD.

Open Transport (SBP/USB/SAS) do not, since the chip is only
an interface to the transport.

The host template is implemented by a transport layer,
say USB Storage or the SAS Transport Layer.

Every chip is ultimately an interface to the transport, regardless of whether the transport layer is largely managed by software (aic94xx) or firmware (MPT). SCSI host template can work just fine with open transport hardware.

Jeff