Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Mike Christie
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 14:34:22 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
On 10/03/05 12:48, Jeff Garzik wrote:

No, transport class is its name. Think about a standard object-oriented

Not according to Kconfig:

menu "SCSI Transport Attributes"
depends on SCSI

config SCSI_SPI_ATTRS
tristate "Parallel SCSI (SPI) Transport Attributes"
depends on SCSI
help
If you wish to export transport-specific information about
each attached SCSI device to sysfs, say Y. Otherwise, say N.

config SCSI_FC_ATTRS
tristate "FiberChannel Transport Attributes"
depends on SCSI
help
If you wish to export transport-specific information about
each attached FiberChannel device to sysfs, say Y.
Otherwise, say N.

For FC there is code like the fc_rport stuff which exports a sysfs interface but also does a lot more like probing and queue blocking.

config SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS
tristate "iSCSI Transport Attributes"
depends on SCSI
help
If you wish to export transport-specific information about
each attached iSCSI device to sysfs, say Y.
Otherwise, say N.

And the iSCSI class does do a lot more now too. This just has not been updated. It handles the userspace to kernel communication, session and connection sysfs interface setup, and there were some patches that added the ability to tell scsi-ml to stop queueing commands to a iscsi driver.

Structures like the fc_rport and iscsi_session are managed by the transport classes so scsi-ml never knows about them (except for that scanning bug). And it is possible to share them between HW and software or partial software solutions. I do agree for some iscsi sitautions having a layer over the eh or command exection where the transport really is more of a layer like your design would be nice (I am not refferring to the code duplication though becuase iSCSI would like some of yrou fixes :), but at the same time there are places where code can be shared between a interface that hides the lower level details and one that implements them in software. Maybe it is not this way for SAS though.