Re: AMD Geode GX/LX support

From: Jordan Crouse
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 14:39:02 EST

On 03/10/05 20:01 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2005-10-03 at 11:47 -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > + - "Geode GX" for AMD Geode GX processors
> > - "Crusoe" for the Transmeta Crusoe series.
> > - "Efficeon" for the Transmeta Efficeon series.
> > - "Winchip-C6" for original IDT Winchip.
>
> Whats wrong with the existing MGEODEGX1 define (other than it doesn't
> say AMD)

As I mentioned in the previous e-mail, the GEODEGX1 define as it stands
is incorrect - the cache line size should be 16 bytes for the GX1. The
GX and LX share a newer core, so it stands, I think that they should have
a different define.

> > config X86_USE_3DNOW
> > bool
> > - depends on MCYRIXIII || MK7
> > + depends on MCYRIXIII || MK7 || MGEODE_GX
> > default y
>
> Is this correct - last time I benchmarked it the older GEODE was better
> off using non MMX copies ?

The jury is still out on that. Certainly, optimizing for i586 architectures
is incorrect, because the pipelining is different then on a Pentium machine
(i586 optimized code is much slower, especially in userland). I don't have
any solid numbers on the performance of just -mmx or -3dnow, but my gut
feeling from months of use is that the performance isn't any worse, at least.
I suppose that I should come with something more solid then a gut feeling,
though, substantial as my gut may be.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse