Re: Linux SATA S.M.A.R.T. and SLEEP?

From: jmerkey
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 18:22:52 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:

jmerkey wrote:

Someone needs to fix SATA drive ordering in the kernel so it matches GRUBs ordering, or perhaps GRUB needs fixing. I have run into
several situation where hd0,hd1 are in reverse order from what is reported when the Intel PII drivers load from the kernel, making in
necessary to swap the two values in the grub config.

There's more to it than that. With PATA drives I see issues with order as well, and they date back to the Redhat 7.x days, where the install chose one order for the scsi drivers and the boot chose another. With IDE the order in which drivers are loaded affects the drive naming.

It would be great to have some way to match drives with names, but there doesn't seem to be a single solution for PATA, SATA, SCSI and hotplug. Something like mounts using UUID of the filesystem, but for the drives.

I do use pluggable drives for backup, load modules for various controllers on demand, etc, so I'm aware that the most reliable solutions seem to involve either reduced flexibility, human intervention at boot, or both.

Have the IDE and SATA driver layer check the BIOS ordering and preserve it during registration of the IDE and SATA devices for boot.

Jeff