Re: /etc/mtab and per-process namespaces

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 15:21:10 EST

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:07:48PM -0700, David Leimbach wrote:
> On 10/4/05, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 12:14:47PM -0700, David Leimbach wrote:
> > > Hmm no responses on this thread a couple days now. I guess:
> > >
> > > 1) No one cares about private namespaces or the fact that they make
> > > /etc/mtab totally inconsistent.
> > > 2) Private Namespaces aren't important to anyone and will never be
> > > robust unless someone who cares, like me, takes it over somehow.
> > > 3) Everyone is busy with their own shit and doesn't want to deal with
> > > me or mine right now.
> >
> > 4) If you insist on having /etc/mtab the same file in all namespaces,
> > you obviously will have its contents not matching at least some
> > of them. Either have it separate in each namespace where you want
> > to see it, or simply use /proc/self/mounts instead.
>
> Well I guess it's my fault to some extent with the subject line. I
> don't really care about /etc/mtab so much except that I'd like it to
> be consistent if it is going to be there. I'd rather it do one of two
> things. Show me my current process's namespace accurately or just the
> stuff that's global to all namespaces. Right now it's kind of in
> between.

/etc/mtab is just a regular file; no more, no less. It's a place used by
mount(8) and several other programs. Kernel has nothing to do with it...

Obns: that can get tough. Note that Plan 9 one is an approximation that
works well enough for most uses; if you play with mounting/unmounting/renaming
in sufficiently perverted ways, you'll get unusable /proc/<pid>/ns. The
trouble being, they are luckier - they don't have to deal with many classes
of perversion we do, so their soluition wouldn't work well for Linux.