Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 10:08:45 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:48:12AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

What is incredibly idiotic is a file system that allws you to delete files that you have no write access to. That is stupid beyond belief and only the Unix community doesn't get it.

If I have a directory and I want to remove it, I can almost always do
that. The file only goes away if there are no other hardlinks to it.
If someone cares about the file, they should keep a hardlink to it in a
directory THEY own.

Directories within directories on the other hand can make things a pain
since if you don't own the subdir, you can't remove its contents, so you
can't remove it. You could however likely move the dir somewhere else
to get it out of your way.

My directory is MY file and I get to do whatever I want to it. Who
knows how someone else managed to get a file into it in the first place.

/tmp is of course different since it has the bit turned on that says
only the file owner can delete it. If you want that enabled on all
directories, go ahead. It is supported, although who knows what
applications that might break. unix supports both ways of directory
behaviour after all. It isn't one way or the other.

Len Sorensen

Agian - thinking outside the box.

If the permissions were don'e right in your own directories your inherited rights would give your permissions automatically to your home directory and all directories uner it. Netware has a concept called an inherited rights mask - something Linux lacks. Windows also has rights like this and Samba emulates it. So unless root put files in your directory and specifically denied you rights to them, you would have full rights to your own directory.

However - if you were browsing the /etc directory and there were files there that you had no read or write access to - then you wouldn't even be able to list them. If you went to the home directory and lets say everyone had 700 permissions on all the directories withing home, you would only see your own directory. You wouldn't even be able to know what other directories existed there.

If you want to start thinking about DOING IT RIGHT you need to think beyond the Unix model and start looking at Netware. Maybe in 5 years Linux will evolve to where Netware was in 1990.

Unix permissions totally suck but it's old baggage that you're stuck with somewhat. Are you going to be stuck forever and is Linux ever going to grow up and move on to better things? Linux is crippled when it comes to permissions. The Windows people are laughing at you and you don't even get it why they are laughing.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com