Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 10:43:21 EST

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:30:06AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:24:47PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > ahh, *sigh*, i remember the days.
> >
> > in 1989 i looked in /tmp on our sunos 4.1.3 server at
> > imperial, which was running a bit slow, went "eek, that's
> > a lot of files in /tmp" and did am rm -fr /tmp.
>
> Why would /tmp allow you to delete files there you didn't own unless you
> were root?

i have no idea. as a user, i just did rm -fr /tmp/* (sorry - not
rm -fr /tmp) and it worked.

as a user.

not root.

> > a few minutes later the sysadmins quite literally stormed in.
>
> And promptly removed root access from the person that wasn't qualified
> to have it in the first place? :)

they weren't dumb enough to give it to me.

> > apparently the printer queue temp files were stored in /tmp and 100
> > third year students were all trying to print out their course-work,
> > last minute.
> >
> And why would the printer queue use /tmp in the first place?

ahh, that would answer the implicit question as to why they
jumped up and down at me rather than frog-marched me off campus.

> > oops.
> >
> > yes, imperial college third year theory of computing students of
> > 1987-1990, it was me.
>
> Did they ever let you have root again?

i was a student there. they didn't let _anyone_ like me have root.

someone got into trouble for even demonstrating a security
vulnerability.

l.