Re: freebox possible GPL violation

From: Emmanuel Fleury
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 11:45:55 EST

Pierre Michon wrote:

Just like your pc has a BIOS to search for booting devices

Adsl is far more complex than ethernet...

Not complex enough so that a network boot protocol can't fit on a BIOS chip, believe me.

Ok, let's continue on this mailling list.
Register is needed to post, but I think it is worth to continue, to
clarify how works the freebox and some wrong assuptions.

The only wrong assumptions that I see here are yours.

I don't understand why you cannot accept that the Freebox is part of the Free network infrastructure and that you are not using directly the OS but only the service that they provide.

You have to understand that this is just like if the nodes to which your mobile phone is connecting were running Linux. Just because your mobile phone is your, you cannot ask for the code of what is running on the node.

'Got it, now ?

Regards
--
Emmanuel Fleury