Re: Why no XML in the Kernel?

From: jmerkey
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 18:42:39 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:

Ah. So, er, the DRM<-> userspace protocol is stable, then?

Looks like I was working on bad assumptions (assuming the DRM and X were
tied). I'm not sure where those assumptions came from. Possibly just
that they shared a CVS repo, although I'd hope I'd had more evidence
than that. I realy can't recall.

In theory yes, on occasion I do get bugs that break XFree86 4.3, but
these are bugs as opposed to design decisions, upgrading the kernel
should never require upgrading to a new version of X or anything like
that, however upgrading X can sometimes require a newer kernel in
order to take advantage of newer drm features.. but X should always
work with the older drms...

Dave.

How about putting the ability to disable graphics mode in the kernel and moving this capability from X, and saving the video state. Would make kernel debuggers work a hell of a lot better when the damn thing crashes in X in the kernel. At least then the screen won;t be locked up (of course you can type "reboot " from memory while the system is still hung in X).

Jeff