Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 14:29:38 EST

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:10:55AM -0400, Michael Concannon wrote:

> All good points, but perhaps the most compelling to me is that virtually
> every successful windows virus out there does its real damage by
> modifying the registry to replace key actions, associate bad actions
> with good ones and just generally screw the system up...

the damage is done because "admin" rights are forced out of the control
of the users and sysadmins and into the hands of the dumb-ass app
writers, for both the setup stage and then the actual day-to-day
usage of the app!

the registry on NT has ACLs - which are completely irrelevant as far as
users running as admin are concerned (because the dumb-ass app writers
force them to).

the nt registry - imagine it to be .... _like_ a filesystem, or _like_
an LDAP server.

except with proper ACLs and access controls [which everyone bypasses
because duh it's windows duh, not because it's impossible to do a decent
job with the API and its implementation].

l.