Re: 2.6.13.3 Memory leak, names_cache

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 14:55:57 EST

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Robert Derr wrote:

> > Just out of interest, do you have CONFIG_AUDIT_SYSCALL enabled? Does it go
> > away if you disable it?
>
> It looks like it is enabled. CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL=y in .config, right?

Yes. My bad.

That would be the prime suspect, especially as you don't seem to have any
strange filesystems. Syscall auditing delays releasing filenames until the
system call exits, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it might leak.

I doubt you depend on the syscall auditing, so the easiest thing to try is
to just disable it and see if the behaviour goes away. At that point, if
it does, we have people we can ping to look more closely into what causes
it.

> I'm not sure if I can find the action or behavior causing the problem. The
> server is the master node on a 14 computer cluster running a mesoscale weather
> forecasting package so there's a million things going on all the time. I
> guess I could write a program to compare all the processes running against the
> names_cache and look for any correlation.

Ahh, never mind. It sounds like the best thing to do is to first try the
simple audit test, and if the problem remains, just apply one of the slab
debugging patches.

There's one by Alexander Nyberg at least, which would probably show the
likely leak site immediately since it tracked allocators. Alexander, do
you have a recent version of that to send to Robert?

Linus