Re: kernel freeze (not even an OOPS) on remount-ro+umount when usingquotas

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 14:17:00 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Steven Rostedt wrote:

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Michael Tokarev wrote:

This is something that has biten me quite successefully
in last few days... ;)

To make a long story short:

# mke2fs -j /dev/hda6
# mount -o usrquota /dev/hda6 /mnt
# cp -a /home /mnt # to make some files to work with
# quotacheck -uc /mnt
# quotaon /mnt

Looks like it's more reproduceable when there's some writing
going on at this point - after enabling the quotas and before
remointing it read-only. Maybe there's some unwritten quota
data left in memory at the remount, or something like that...

Yes it is:
# quotaon /mnt; touch /mnt/file; mount -o remount,ro /mnt; umount /mnt
and voila, instant freeze.

# mount -o remount,ro # this is the important step!
# ls -l /mnt /mnt/home # to do "something" (also important)
# umount /mnt

At this time (attempting to umount the read-only filesystem with quotas
enabled), the machine freezes without any messages on the console. No
OOPS, no response, no nothing - until a hard reboot (powercycle).
[]
And hee-hoo, sysrq works! Strange I haven't noticied it before - I think
I tried it on the laptop, maybe I pressed some wrong button...

Now, as I don't have another PC here @home, only this machine and an ADSL
router (small mips-based device wich is also running linux), and I will
not have access to another machine(s) till monday... I'll try netconsole
to the router. Damn, why ShiftPgUp does not work as it worked in 2.4?? :(

Nope, my ADSL router is too slow to accept printks from netconsole, or
my PC is too fast (which isn't at all fast - it's a 900MHz VIA C3 system) --
sysrq+t output captured by the router (simple recvfrom()+write(tmpfs) loop)
is *very* incomplete, only shows about 50 lines for all the tasks running...
The device is 150MHz mips-el, texas instruments ar7 (avalanche/sangam) board.

Any suggestions on how to improve the logging? :)

But. With the above sequence of commands, looks like the problem is pretty
easy to reproduce...

/mjt