Re: IDE issues with "choose_drive"

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 03:30:46 EST

On 10/8/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:02 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > The first one is the one I'm trying to fix, it's basically a hang on
> > > wakeup from sleep. What happens is that both drives are blocked
> > > (suspended, drive->blocked is set). Their IO queues contains some
> > > requests that haven't been serviced yet. We receive the resume()
> > > callback for one of them. We react by inserting a wakeup request at the
> > > head of the queue and waiting for it to complete. However, when we reach
> > > ide_do_request(), choose_drive() may return the other drive (the one
> > > that is still sleeping). In this case, we hit the test for blocked queue
> > > and just break out of the loop. We end up never servicing the other
> > > drive queue which is the one we are trying to wakeup, thus we hang.
> >
> > Oh, and here's the ugly workaround beeing tested by the users who are
> > having the problem so far. Not really a proper fix though...
>
> No reply ... it's a bit urgent as it may bite any system trying to
> suspend with a slave IDE disk at least (not including the other possible
> problems I've spotted with this code).

It is a old problem from what I understand.
However it would still be nice to have it fixed for 2.6.14.

> I'm tempted to just send my workaround patch to Linus & Andrew (might
> still make it into 2.6.14). That would at least fix the bug with resume
> from sleep. What do you think ?

It seems we need internal ide_dev_do_request(ide_drive_t *, int)
which will explicitly state which device we want to service as I see
no sane way to fix the problem in choose_drive().

Your workaround is OK for 2.6.14 given that you will document it
now and later fix it properly for 2.6.15.

Bartlomiej