Re: Anybody know about nforce4 SATA II hot swapping + linux raid?

From: John Stoffel
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 11:09:10 EST

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Walrond <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Andrew> Likewise. I've been using exclusively SATA with linux raid for
Andrew> quite a while now, with great success. But for the super
Andrew> resilient zero downtime servers I now need to deploy, I must
Andrew> be able to swap dead drives without taking the server
Andrew> down. Hence my query.

Andrew> Off-list respondants have recommended 3ware hardware raid
Andrew> products, but throughput concerns on another thread here have
Andrew> really put me off that idea.

Hmm... I've been watching those 3ware discussions with interest as
well, but I haven't seen any commments on how well they work as JBOD
controllers, esp if you get smaller ones with fewer channels and
stripe/mirror between controllers. If you pair disks between
controllers, then that should limit the downtime, and also improve
performance.

I've been thinking that getting a pair of the two or four change old
74xx series 3ware controllers and then striping across RAID pairs done
between controllers.

John