Re: Issues in Booting kernel 2.6.13

From: Simen Thoresen
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 03:17:19 EST

Hi Randy, Devesh,

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:25:03 +0200 Simen Thoresen wrote:

Hi Randy,

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:46:37 +0530 devesh sharma wrote:

Hi all,
I have compiled 2.6.13 kernel on a opteron machine with 1 GB physical
memory, Whole compilation gose well but at the last step
make install I am getting a warning
WARNING: No module mptbase found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
WARNING: No module mptscsih found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway

If you need mpt drivers, there were some changes in the
FUSION MPT driver options that may be causing them not to be
built for you as you were expecting.

I ran into this (2.6.13.3) on Friday as well, but I have not yet examined it in detail.

Do you have any pointers to the relevant postings or information?

No, I just recall seeing a few other problem reports and answers about it,
and then I compared the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 .config files following
'make defconfig'.

It worked with 2.6.12.6, so I'm happy. It now remains to be seen if there was any point in upgrading .-)

I've used the 'mkinitrd' tool to generate a 'proper' initrd, and I see both mptbase and mptscsih loading, but mptscsih never picks up any actual controllers or disks. Thus the same problem on my system.

To me, this signifies that RHs mkinitrd is broken for this kernel, but I don't know the details of why yet.

so maybe someone from Red Hat can answer/clarify.

I agree. I'll cross my fingers that this gets fixed 'now' and not in time for RH5 :-)

-S

Yours,
-S

now when I boot my kernel, panic is received
Booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
mkrootdev: lable / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed : 22
umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init

What could be the problem?
I have RHEL 4 base release already installed on which I have compiled
this image.

---
~Randy

Simen Thoresen, Wulfkit Support, Dolphin ICS
http://www.tysland.com/~simentt/cluster