Re: using segmentation in the kernel

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 04:06:25 EST

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:24 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Brian Gerst wrote:
> > Jonathan M. McCune wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> > Why send the kernel back to the 2.0 days? There is no valid reason for
> > doing this with they way x86 segmentation works, which is why it was
> > done away with in 2.1.
> >

> But with segmentation you can set code to be read-only,

you can do that without segmentation too, absolutely no problem

> disallow execution from stack,

That is why CPUs have NX nowadays. And it's not like the kernel is full
of buffer overflows; due to the 4Kb stack space (total), there are very
very few static buffers on the stack at all; simply because theres no
space to do it.

> separate modules so that they
> will not affect kernel and more...

and I don't believe this one yota. THe only way to do this is to run
modules in ring 1, at which point you are in deep shit anyway.