Re: man-pages-2.08 is released

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 12:10:52 EST

On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:26 am, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> This is a request to kernel developers: if you make a change
> to a kernel-userland interface, or observe a discrepancy
> between the manual pages and reality, would you please send
> me (at mtk-manpages@xxxxxxx ) one of the following
> (in decreasing order of preference):

Would it make sense for some of the man pages (or maybe all of them) that
correspond directly to kernel interfaces (e.g. syscalls, procfs & sysfs
descriptions) to be bundled directly with the kernel? Andrew is
generally pretty good about asking people to update the stuff in
Documentation/ when necessary, so maybe the man pages would be kept more
up to date if developers were forced to deal with them more directly.

OTOH, they comprise a fairly large package, so adding them to the kernel
tarball would increase its size a lot.

The man pages are great; I'm just thinking that if some of them were
bundled with the kernel there'd be a bit less work for you to do (just
proofreading and acking changes hopefully). Also, if they were there,
it might motivate people to convert some of the stuff in Documentation
to section 7 man pages (the janitors have been doing a lot of good
stuff, maybe that would be another area where they could contribute).

Thanks,
Jesse