Re: Linux NTFS Vista compatibility (was: Re: [2.6-GIT] NTFS: Release 2.1.24.)

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 10:21:07 EST

On Sunday 25 September 2005 23:35, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
[snip]

> > Alistair, any result?
> >
> > > Note you will need to try the ntfs driver itself and not ntfscp as
> > > libntfs does not have these changes yet hence ntfscp will not work just
> > > the same (it does not use the kernel driver at all, it only uses
> > > libntfs).
> >
> > The latest ntfsprogs CVS has also these changes and every tool should
> > work fine with Vista (ntfscp, ntfsresize, ntfsundelete, ntfsclone, etc).
>
> I have limited access to the beta, as it expires every 30 days and forces
> me to reinstall it. I promise to get back to all of you after 2.6.14 is
> released with the LogFile changes.
>
> To clarify, I did not leave the Vista NTFS volume in an inconsistent state.
> I even forced a chkdsk, rebooted, let it run through, then attempted again
> to mount it with the NTFS code in 2.6.13. This categorically fails.

I was free today, so I built a 2.6.14-rc4 kernel on the machine with the
Longhorn NTFS volume. It now mounts without warnings in dmesg, and I've
verified that ntfscp works properly.

Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.