Re: Patch: Remove devfs from 2.6.13
From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 18:55:59 EST
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 01:45:44PM -0400, Mathieu Therrien, VE2TMQ wrote:
> Hello every one! I read this document : <a
> but I don't understand the reason to remove devfs from the kernel
Please search the archives for the reasons why. In short:
- It had unfixable bugs.
- It was unmaintained for many years.
- It has been marked OBSOLETE for about 1 1/2 years
- It has been documented that it would be removed for over a
- It puts naming policy into the kernel, where it is not needed.
- It is not LSB compliant.
- there are numerous userspace solutions that do the same thing,
in much better ways.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/