[RFC] RNG rewrite...

From: Deepak Saxena
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 23:32:13 EST

I want to add support for the RNG on Intel's IXP4xx NPU and
looking at the existing hw-random.c code, it is written with
the assumption that the RNG is on the PCI bus. I can put a
big #ifdef ARCH_IXP4XX in there but instead I would rather
rewrite the damn thing to use the device model and have a rng
device class with individual drivers for each RNG model, including
IXP4xx. I'll keep the miscdev interface around but will add a
new interface under /sys/class/rng that the userspace tools
can transition to. Is this OK with folks?

One question I have is about the following comment:

* This data only exists for exporting the supported
* PCI ids via MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE. We do not actually
* register a pci_driver, because someone else might one day
* want to register another driver on the same PCI id.

Why? Is there something else on those IDs that another driver might
care about?

Tnx,
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@xxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.plexity.net

When law and duty are one, united by religion, you never become fully
conscious, fully aware of yourself. You are always a little less than
an individual. - Frank Herbert