Re: [Patch 2/3] Export get_one_pte_map.

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 06:42:40 EST

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 06:31 -0500, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:30:38PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:22:25PM -0500, Robin Holt wrote:
> > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(get_one_pte_map);
> >
> > EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL() ?
>
> Not sure why it would fall that way. Looking at the directory,
> I get:

Most of the VM stuff in those directories that you're referring to are
old, crusty exports, from the days before _GPL. We've left them to be
polite, but if many of them were recreated today, they'd certainly be
_GPL.

We do not want random external modules poking at PTEs, nor should a
module need to know such kernel internals as the semantics of
PTE_HIGHMEM. I think it needs _GPL.

BTW, your new patches look much nicer than the last set. Thanks for
making the changes I suggested.

-- Dave