Re: VFS: file-max limit 50044 reached

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 11:17:20 EST

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> I would just remove it. If the limit is wrong, we crash again. And the
> realtime guys already are pissed off by batch=10000 anyway.

Normally I would too, but I'm still hoping I could do a 2.6.14 tonight. I
guess that's unreasonable (swtlb issues etc), but for now I just committed
the one-liner.

> Absolutely. Keeping a count of (percpu) queued items is basically free if kept
> in the cache line used by list head, so the 'queue length on this cpu' is a
> cheap metric.

Yes. I did something broken like that before Dipankar pointed me at
batching.

The only downside to TIF_RCUUPDATE is that those damn TIF-flags are
per-architecture (probably largely unnecessary, but while most
architectures don't care at all, others seem to have optimized their
layout so that they can test the work bits more efficiently). So it's a
matter of each architecture being updated with its TIF_xyz flag and their
work function.

Anybody willing to try? Dipankar apparently has a lot on his plate, this
_should_ be fairly straightforward. Eric?

Linus