Re: A problem about DIRECT IO on ext3

From: Badari Pulavarty
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 11:37:06 EST

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 11:51 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17 2005, li nux wrote:
> >

> > --- Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > need to align that as
> > > dma directly to the user
> > > same alignment as the
> > > system io.

> > > same as your block size

> > > MASK) & ~(MASK))

> > > Dunno if one 'should', one 'can' if one wants to. I
> > > prefer to do it
> > > manually so I don't have to jump through #define
> > > hoops to get at it
> > > (which, btw, still doesn't expose it on this
> > > machine).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jens Axboe
> >
> > Thanx a lot Jens :-)
> > Its working now.
> > I did not have to make these adjustments on 2.6
> > Is looks to be having more relaxation.
>
> 2.6 does have the option of checking the hardware dma requirement
> seperately, but for this path you should run into the same restrictions.
> Perhaps you just got lucky when testing 2.6?

2.6 also has the same restriction. But, if the "filesystem
blocksize alignment" (soft block size) fails, we try to see
if its aligned with hard sector size (512). If so, we can do the IO.

2.4 fails if the offset or buffer is NOT filesystem blocksize
aligned. Period.

So, its possible that your buffer is atleast 512byte aligned,
there by succeeding on 2.6

BTW, posix_memalign() or valloc() should be safe.

> > Can somebody please throw some light on how to find
> > your system's hard/soft block size ?
>
> It's a per-device (or even per-partition, in case of mounted partitions)
> setting, you can use the BLKBSZGET and BLKSSZGET ioctls to query for
> soft/hard sector sizes.

Thanks,
Badari