updated perfmon new code base package available

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 11:15:35 EST

Hello everyone,

I have released an updated version of the perfmon new code base package.
This release is relative to 2.6.14-rc4-mm1. I have also updated the library,
libpfm-3.2, to match the kernel level changes.

Kernel-package features:
------------------------
- preliminary support for MIPS R5000 by Phil Mucci
- on X86-64, P6, P4 32-bits, the PMC enable bits are now
under the control of the users. Pfm_start/pfm_stop do not
touch them anymore. That means applications must set them.
- simplified arch-specific interface (merged calls)
- simplified PMU description tables (removed dep_pmc[])

I now have a compilation environment for PPC64 and MIPS64, as such
I have verified that the patches for those architectures compile,
no actual testing has been done, though.

For MIPS, the patch is relative to the www.linux-mips.org GIT
tree as they still maintain a separate tree. The common perfmon
patch does apply cleanly even though the MIPS tree is sligthly
behind (see README.mips).

For libpfm-3.2, the updates is to reflect the changes for the
enable bits for P6, X86-64. The P4 standalone programs, and
PEBS examples have also been updated for enable bits. Note
that the PEBS support does not seem to work when Hyperthreading
is enabled. I have not yet tracked this one down, any volunteer?

You can grab both packages at our SourceForge web site:

http://www.sf.net/projects/perfmon2

You must download:
- 2.6.14-rc4-mm1-051017
- libpfm-3.2-051018