Re: ATA warnings in dmesg

From: Jon Escombe
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 15:45:28 EST

Aaron Gyes wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 08:13 +0100, Jon Escombe wrote:

I don't think you need to worry. Those messages are produced from the libata passthough code, whenever sense data has been requested...

0xb0 looks like a SMART command, so I would guess (haven't looked at -mm) that the ata ioctl handlers have been updated to request it.

That would make sense. I have a daemon running that requests the
temperature via SMART every minute or so. Even still, this fills up my
entire dmesg after not a very long time, can I turn these messages off
somehow? If not, can you point me to where in the code I could kill a
printk?

Aaron Gyes

Sure, the printk is in drivers/scsi/libata-scsi.c, right at the end of ata_to_sense_error()..

Regards,
Jon.