Re: [ANNOUNCE] - AKT project

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 17:06:48 EST

Derbey Nadia wrote:
I'm announcing last version of the libtune API, that has been developped to unify the way developers have to access Linux kernel tunables, system information, resource consumptions.

User documentation can be found at http://akt.sf.net/doc/aktapi.doc.01.html

Design documentation can be found at http://akt.sf.net/doc/aktapi.design.07.html

The sources can be downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=136028

Next step of the project will consist in making the kernel able to tune the resources as it sees appropriate.

The reason for having tunables is so the admin can get the behaviour desired. Since the kernel can't really know which behaviour to optimize this would wind up being the kernel tuning itself to your (someone's) idea of better. That may be great for some newbie, but honestly the default values put in by the developers are satisfactory in most cases.

I hope "as it sees appropriate" isn't really what you mean...

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)