Re: Keep initrd tasks running?

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 22:35:37 EST

I am confused. I thought that once the initramfs init execs the real init, the initramfs is freed. It can't be freed if there are processes that still have open files there, so that would seem to prevent any processes being started in the initramfs and continuing after the real system is booted.

Jeff Bailey wrote:

This is much more easily supported in Breezy. usplash is started at the
top of the initramfs (from the init-top hook) and lives until we start
gdm.

The biggest constraint is that you don't have write access to the target
root filesystem (since it's mounted readonly). However, /dev is a tmpfs
that is move mounted to the new root system. If you need to have
sockets open or store data, you can use that. usplash does this for its
socket.

Note that the initramfs startup sequence isn't at all similar to the old
initrd startups. It should be easy for you to cleanly add what you want
under /etc/mkinitramfs/scripts and not have to modify the
initramfs-tools package. /usr/share/doc/initramfs-tools/HACKING
contains some starter information.

Hope this helps!

Tks,
Jeff Bailey