Re: Question about buffer usage

From: Dave Pifke
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 18:21:31 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> It could be a JFS quirk - I don't know much about JFS. It'd be interesting
> to know if other filesystems behave in a similar manner.

I have two more machines on order, so perhaps I'll try a different filesystem on them and report back if it makes a difference.

> One thing you could do is to (re)mount the filesystems with `-o noatime'.

I probably should have mentioned that this is already the case.

> That should release _some_ of the blockdev pagecache, but not a lot, I
> expect. Maybe JFS is just metadata-intensive..

There appears to be a jfs-discussion mailing list on SourceForge; I'll try asking there.

--
Dave Pifke, dave@xxxxxxxx
Sr. System Administrator, www.bebo.com