Merging ATA passthru

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 14:14:33 EST

Folks,

Taking Mark Lord's (and others) criticism to heart, I'm going to merge the ATA passthru work upstream, once 2.6.14 is released.

Since there are still some reported problems that I haven't had time to track down, I'm going to -- like ATAPI -- introduce a module option that enables passthru. It will default to off.

Other features that follow a similar pattern -- 98% there but needs a few final tweaks -- will be treated in the same way.

This gets lesser-used features upstream where they can get the most testing, while defaulting them to off ensures that we won't perturb the known-working code.

This also will help me, in that I won't have to maintain a bunch of parallel codebases.

Jeff